Editor’s Note: This message was originally sent as an email on Monday December 14, 2020.
Dear Shomrei Community,
First I would like to wish all of you a very Happy Hanukkah. Last night [Sun, Dec 13] we lit the fourth candle and many of you participated in our Zoom Community candle lighting and donut decorating. Often when we wish people a Chag Sameach for Hanukkah we say “May your Hanukkah be bright”. Well the glow of the candles do not begin to match the glow of the warmth that you as a Shomrei Community showed yesterday. As we distributed almost 100 bags of Hanukkah goodies, we collected so many toys and socks for our greater community. The Sunday minyan had a sunny warm day to meet as well. We most certainly will make the holiday brighter and the winter a bit warmer for so many people in need of some help and thoughtfulness. Thanks to all of you who attended minyan, donated and participated in our program and a special thanks to our coordinators and helpers. I am sure I will leave someone out so I apologize in advance.
– Geoff Sadow, Craig Eichner and Fern Heinig and all those who attended for the Sunday minyan
– Shirley Grill and Adrienne Lasiter who sorted the gifts and welcomed people as they drove by
– The Breslin family for handing out bags to the long line of cars
– Sarita Eisenberg, Fern Heinig, & Liza Cohn for delivering bags
– Heather, Lily and Aylah for an amazing program and for packing & handing out bags as well as for coordinating videos
– Lisa and Marita for helping put together the bags and for the beautiful Hanukkah cards
– John Lasiter for the amazing notices and all the work behind the scenes.
Watch Shomrei Week for some great pictures.
I hope that the next 4 candles shine bright as you light them over the next few days and we all smile as we recall the miracle of so many centuries ago and know that miracles are still possible.
Thank you to our Shomrei Community for your generosity and I wish all of you a very Happy Hanukkah from my family to yours.
Miriam is President of Congregation Shomrei Emunah. She and her husband David joined Shomrei in 1986. She has a long history of committee involvement (too many to list) at the synagogue. In the past, Miriam served as Co-Chair of the Education Board, Shomrei Trustee, Treasurer and VP of Finance.She and David raised their daughter Ilana while at Shomrei.
Latest posts by Miriam Korn Haimes (see all)