Summer is here, but the pace of our activities hasn’t slowed.
We have an exciting opportunity to make a difference in the lives of a number of refugee children this summer! GERA (Global Emergency Response and Assistance), a community NGO helping many refugee families in the Paterson/Passaic area, is trying to send 13 refugee children to summer camp at the Wayne Y for two weeks in August. GERA is negotiating a discount for the children, but the total cost for all the children is still likely to be about $3,400, of which they’ve raised about half. (The cost per child for the two weeks ranges from $302-$672, depending on the child’s age.) We are also exploring the possibility of helping to send some children in our refugee families in Elizabeth to summer camp at their local Y, which will probably cost a total of between $500 and $1,000.
So, we’ve set a total goal of $3,000 to help ensure that these children have a fun place to go this summer, to meet new friends, learn a little English, and build self-esteem and confidence in their new country.
If you can, please contribute. Any amount would be appreciated. The camp sessions are just around the corner and we need to make payment to the Y by July 25, so time is of the essence. You can donate in one of two ways:
- By credit card online to the Rabbi’s Discretionary Fund at https://www.gofundme.com/SummerCampForRefugeeChildren-RabbisDiscretionaryFund.
- By check made out to the Rabbi’s Discretionary Fund. Please bring or send the check to Congregation Shomrei Emunah, 67 Park Street, Montclair, NJ 07042 and indicate in the memo line that the donation should be directed to “Summer Camp Refugee Assistance.”
Progress is being made on a number of fronts: For example, one of the refugees whom we are helping in Elizabeth has recently learned to drive, gotten a driver’s license, and purchased an inexpensive used car. Three others are taking English classes at the Elizabeth Public Library over the summer.
As always, thank you for your support and generosity!
Judith, Mike, and Andy
Thank you in advance for your generosity. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.Regards,
Latest posts by Andy Silver (see all)
- Refugee Assistance Update: Continuing Our Support - Thu, Jul 9, 2020
- Continued Assistance Needed - Thu, Jun 18, 2020
- Shomrei Responds to Plea from Westfield Fun Club to Help Refugee Families - Wed, Apr 8, 2020