As I communicated to you last week, I am very excited about the candidates our Rabbi Search Committee has presented to the board. The committee has done a superb job, and now it is our turn as a congregation to do ours. I am writing to urge you to attend the events of the upcoming Shabbat weekend to get to know our first finalist. We have a superb and diverse pool of finalists, each with unique leadership and interpersonal skills. We would like you to meet them, spend time with them, and help us choose the right spiritual leader for Shomrei’s future. We also want them to see what an amazing community we are.
That said, we are still managing through a difficult health crisis and our utmost priority is to create a safe environment for all of our congregants so that we can all enjoy meaningful interactions in a responsible manner. We wanted to highlight some of those steps here;
- We have planned multiple opportunities for engagement and limited the number of attendees at each of these events. This will allow us to “spread out” to ensure appropriate social distancing.Please sign up at https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/70a0845adad2ba75-sunday
- We have canceled indoor meals and other situations where persons would be unmasked, in order to be most mindful of the health concerns we all share. Kiddush and Havdalah are currently planned outdoors, weather permitting.
- In the last year, the board approved and implemented significant investment in upgrading the HVAC system at the synagogue. In fact, the largest expenditure was towards the units in the social hall where most of the events will be held. We hope that the improved filtration and air flow system will give comfort to our attendees that we are striving to ensure a safe space for all.
- We are also seeking volunteers to help make the candidate’s visit special. Please sign up if you would like to volunteer at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0845adad2ba75-carol1
The board and the RSC have spent considerable efforts to bring these outstanding candidates to the community. In the end, the decision is not mine or the board’s. It is up to the whole community to select the person we will ask to lead our sacred congregation. I encourage each of you to attend as many events with as many candidates as possible and make your voices heard. We will be sending a survey at the conclusion of each visit.
As always, do not hesitate to reach out to me, or any of the RSC members should you have any questions, input or concerns. We are about halfway through this thoughtful selection process, but with your support and engagement I know that we will be excited by the outcome.
Thank you all,
Editor’s note: This message was originally emailed to the congregation on December 30th.
- Message from the President – We Need You! - Thu, Feb 3, 2022
- Message from the President – We Need You! - Thu, Jan 20, 2022
- Message from the President – Rabbinical Candidate Visit - Thu, Dec 30, 2021