Dear Shomrei Family,
The Rabbi Search Committee is honored to help serve our community during this transition, and we are striving for a productive, efficient, and transparent process where all voices are welcomed and heard. To that end, we would like to provide an update of what we’ve accomplished thus far. Please check this page for bi-weekly updates on our progress. Above you will see a graphic of our estimated timeline of milestone events in our search for our new Rabbi. Below you will find a brief overview of the substance of each of our weekly committee meetings.
We look forward to embarking on this journey b’yachad (together).
Mara Weinstein and Allen Lefkowitz (Communication Subcommittee Chairs)
Meetings of the Shomrei Rabbi Search Committee
(most recent first)
June 28, 2021
- Presentation of the first draft of the Shomrei Community Survey which aims to gather online feedback from the community about what characteristics we value the most in our next rabbi.
- Discussion of the general timeline:
- In mid-July we plan to distribute the survey to the community. It will remain open for two weeks, and then the Survey Subcommittee will compile the responses and use them to format focus group questions
- In August we will hold focus groups: 15 focus groups of 10 people each. Some will be in person at a host home, some in person at Shomrei and some via Zoom.
- The results of the survey and focus groups will help us answer the extensive Rabbinical Assembly (“RA”) Questionnaire, which the RA will make available to all interested rabbi-applicants. The questionnaire functions as a marketing tool to attract candidates whose skills match the needs of our congregation
- We will post the completed questionnaire with the RA no later than mid-October when we will begin to receive resumes.
- Over the late fall/winter we will perform interviews and have finalists spend shabbat with us to meet our community.
- We hope to have a decision made by Spring, 2022 and a new rabbi in place by Aug. 1
- Discussion of communications and how to best be open and transparent with the community.
June 21, 2021
- Introductions of the Committee members (see bios in previous post)
- Subcommittee Division and Assignments:
- Communications: Mara and Allen
- Focus Group and Survey Design and Intake: Martin, Sara, and Fern
- Focus Group Planning: Art and Jesse
- Outreach: Rachel and Geoff
- Questionnaire: Dale and Debra